Albeit the judgement by the 9 judge bench on August 24, 2017, is a landmark judgement, it’s a little too early to celebrate. Despite the tons of chatter on this being a blow to UIDAI, we just cannot be sure yet. Here are a few points to consider.
- The case against UIDAI is a separate one and there may well be a chance that this judgment might not impact that case.
- We are yet to find out to the specifics on data exclusions and limitations and we can well expect instances where the government is allowed to collect personal data.
- Critical to note that there’s always a way to work around such judgment by the way of introducing special laws under activities like Terrorism or the like.
- India still doesn’t have a forward-looking Data Privacy act and hence companies like Google and Facebook may not be impacted severely.
- With consumer apps flooding the market, consumers rarely read the fine print and there is no work around that since the consumer is willing to share their information. Personal data is already out via the API exposures allowed by consumers on their mobile apps – again, an area where this opt-in (not often understood or termed as that) overrides any new judgment.
- With the premise that personal data is already out there with both the government and organizations like Google and Facebook, the key question is Data Security. At Greyhound we believe need of the hour is talk about how we secure the data with each of these bodies and the laws governing its movement between borders.
Love to hear what you folks think? Do you think this judgement will bring in the much needed change in Data Privacy?
Copyright © 2017 Greyhound Knowledge Group. All rights reserved. You may share this research note using the options made available. Please don’t copy this research note (complete or parts) and distribute over the web and emails. Connect with us if you need clarifications.
Have a question on this or other technology and innovation topics? Wish to understand what this means for your business? Click here to engage with a Greyhound Analyst.
Like this insight? Sign up for our newsletter to get our latest insights.
Wish to read more such Insights That Inspire? Access scores of other Free, Freemium and Premium Insights from the menu above.
Sanchit Vir Gogia: Sanchit is the Chief Analyst, Founder & CEO of Greyhound Knowledge Group, a Global Strategy & Transformation Research, Advisory & Consulting Group. To read more about him, click here.
Note for IT Decision Makers – Join Our Exclusive Community! Greyhound Research values your opinion and invites IT Decision Makers and Business Leaders involved in IT projects to join our exclusive, invite-only Greyhound Golden Gate (GQube) Councils. If your project is exclusive and we have your permission, we will write a research note about you and share it with the larger community. Over and beyond, this also gives you access to some of our thought-leading research and analysts. Please write to us on email@example.com and we’ll take it further from there!
Note for IT Vendors, Telecom Operators and Channel Partners – Did you see our Research Agenda? We have organised all of our insights in a way that allows you to better filter and read what works best for you. Please write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll gladly share a copy of the research agenda with you.